Our selection of books for professional mariners is both massive and massively popular. Some of the books are massive themselves — Bowdich’s American Practical Navigator weighs in at 879 pages, 30 x 23 x 6cm, and almost 3Kg — so mariners looking for reference texts but not ballast will be interested in the shift towards digital books.
The International Maritime Organization is among those leading the digital charge, with a number of their books now available on CD ROM (12 x 12 x 0.2cm, 0.2g). Currently available are:
- IAMSAR – International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual
- IMDG – International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code
- ISPS – International Ship and Port facility Security
- MARPOL – International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships
- STCW – Seafarers Training, Certification and Watchkeeping
- SOLAS – Safety of Life at Sea
The IMO is also innovating their distribution and pricing models. Each of these titles is available on free (FREE!) CD-ROMs as a “demo”. Once you’ve decided the book a) Works on your computer; b) Is what you’re looking for; & c) Requires purchase for further use, we can get you an activation code. There’s a 50% discount on additional copies (beyond the first one) when ordering two or more activation codes.
It’s all relatively new and exciting. Let us know if you have any questions.
Of course we’ve still got a full selection of IMO books in paper format.