- RNC BSBv4 vs ENC S-57
- CD-ROMs vs Direct Digital Download
- Registration and Activation Instructions
The Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Charts are listed by Region:
In order to use Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Charts, you’ll need:
- A PC with Microsoft Windows
- Navigation software which can read the BSBv4 format, like Fugawi Global Navigator
- Activation and Registration with Canadian Hydrographic
- An internet connection to download the chart files
RNC BSBv4 vs ENC S-57
Most of the paper charts from the Canadian Hydrographic Service are available as both Raster Navigational Charts (RNC) in the BSBv4 format or as an Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC) in the S-57 vector format. We only list the raster versions; please contact us if you’re interested in ENCs.
CD-ROMs vs Direct Digital Download
Update 2017-01-30: CHS Digital Charts are now only available by Direct Digital Download; the CD-ROMs have been discontinued.
We currently stock and list the RNCs on CD-ROMs, but we can also provide you with access to a direct digital download to eliminate shipping time and costs. If you’d prefer a download, please contact us before order.
Registration and Activation Instructions
Once you’ve installed the digital charts, you’ll need to register and activate them with the Canadian Hydrographic Service. You can do this over the phone by calling 1 (866) 833-6676 or online by going to http://register-enregistrer.chs-shc.gc.ca/. Registering the product will require:
- Access to CHS registry with a GCKEY or other login method
- The Product Code printed on the CD’s packaging or a Transaction Code from a digital purchase
- The Installation Code generated when you installed the charts on your computer
PDF with very detailed instructions on CHS Digital Chart Registration
PDF with information on the GCKEY